Saturday, May 08, 2010

TOMS Shoes

So, I'm sitting here relaxing at home. It's AMAZING! Joe is at an electronics recycling event and Julia is taking a nap, so I should probably try to do something productive... but it has been really crazy here lately and it feels really great to just "be" for a bit.

As I have been sitting here "be-ing," I remembered that one of my students lent me a DVD of the TOMS Shoes documentary. For those of you who aren't familiar with TOMS, let me fill you in. The organization is a shoe company that sells simple shoes using a one-to-one model. For every pair of shoes they sell, they donate a pair of shoes to a child who doesn't have any. Now, I have to admit that I wish what they are doing is more sustainable. Just giving someone a pair of shoes isn't going to help them for a very long time. HOWEVER, it really is an amazing idea and I'm excited that a group of Elmhurst students have become really passionate about educating the campus about TOMS. They even hosted a "Style Your Sole" party in March, bringing out 77 people to purchase and decorate their TOMS together. It was really cool!

So, if you're looking for a last minute Mother's Day gift or if you just thought it would be cool to support a great company, check TOMS out!

3 comments:

Alyn said...

I have two pairs! Most comfy things ever! The best!

Donna said...

I've seen the commercials on TV -- they are great!

Donna said...

For Clevelanders, Geigers in Lakewood is a retailer of TOMS Shoes.