Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 4th and Vacation

Showing off (or questioning?) her first-ever pair of pig tails!

Happy Independence Day! We had a great holiday and extended it a bit by turning it into a week-long vacation in Wisconsin. We had a great time!

The first few days of our visit, my Mom and Randy, Jen, Ben, Luke (and his friend Jacob), Cade, and Dylan, and DeAnna, Andy, MaKayla, and Noah were with us. We had a very chaotic and fun time with them, swimming, enjoying a good fire in the evenings before the mosquitoes hit, and playing with homemade playdoh. It was great! A kid-favorite was the "pick up pine cones" game, which is literally about as exciting as it sounds. When they finally finished, Julia had about 35 pine cones... and that was just the end of day one. We collected until there weren't any pine cones left in the yard and had to scavenge for them. I bet that Noah, MaKayla, Dylan, and Jules ended up collecting over 150 while we were there. Needless to say, Mom and Randy won't need to worry about picking them up the next time they go to mow ;) The photo on the left shows the grand counting event.

Here are some other pix from our time swimming and playing:


Ben hanging out by the beach

Jen and Dylan

Mom enjoying some sun

Andy, Randy, and DeAnna hiding out in the shade
MaKayla and Julia, the piggy tail twins :)

Everybody else left on the 5th and 6th, which left us with a few days of quiet time at the cabin. Oh! But before they did, I can't forget to mention that Joe and I swam across the lake (a first for me!) and we saw Julia's first-ever movie in the theater, Cars 2. We'll definitely be waiting awhile before we visit the theater again, but it was a good try. Joe and I also got to go on a date - woohoo! - while Mom and Randy put Jules to bed one evening. It was great!


Julia, the "fruik snack" girl
Okay, so back to what I was saying. After everybody left, we swam every day, went for a 10-12 mile bike ride on a great, paved trail, and got to READ. It was fabulous! Joe and I each even finished a book! If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. It was excellent. Joe read "Hunger Games," which is the next on my list. I can't wait to get started! All-in-all, we had a great trip and are wishing we could go back up North instead of to work.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Sounds like a wonderful time -- and much needed!

How ever did you get Julia to wear her hair in pigtails?

Love the pics...