What a whirlwind. The past few days have been nutty and I'm just beginning to catch my breath. Last week was new student orientation for about 500 students at Elmhurst College (where I work). Unfortunately, on the second day of orientation a powerful storm came through the area and took out the power. The college was out from Thursday at 3 pm until Saturday at 11 pm. Yikes! We ended up sending most students
home and spending a lot of time in the dark trying to sort things out. It was crazy! Joe and I also lost power for about 32 hours during all of this. We're still trying to figure out what is good in our fridge/ freezer at home! Look at these pictures of the devastation in the area. I pulled them from the Chicago Sun Times website.In other news, classes started this week for me. I'm teaching 2 courses this semeser, which will keep me busy-- but I'm really excited about both of them! In fact, I've really enjoyed this whole teaching thing and think I might want to further pursue it in the future. Joe is hoping that he'll have some opportunities to try it out soon as well. I think he'd be a great teacher... and I suspect that he secretly believes that, too ;) He's is moving along in his job search and is excited about a few different positions right now!
Other than that, we were in Rochelle this weekend for Caden's 6th birthday party. It was a madhouse with about 9 kids and lots of fun. This weekend, we're headed to Wisconsin for a relaxing long weekend at the lake. We're both really looking forward to it. That's about it for now! More pictures to come soon.
3 comments:
I did not know that you teach now. That is really exciting. I picture you being really great at that.
Oh my, the devastation is just awful!! Remember the old saying: if in doubt throw it out! You don’t want to take a chance and get food poisoning.
I didn’t know that you were going to be teaching. How much fun! I know you will be great at it!
Yikes! You really got hit with the storms... they sure have been intense this summer... glad you two weren't flooded out, despite losing some fridge items... they can be replaced!
Guess you need the 'relaxing' upcoming weekend --- enjoy!
Post a Comment