Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Vacation!!

You heard it right! We actually went on vacation. I'm sure some of you are in shock. Heck, I still am! But, yes, we went to Punta Gorda, FL for a visit to see Joe's mom and (almost) step-dad. It was a really fun visit! Our trip primarily involved swimming, enjoying funny Julia moments, swimming, lizards, and more swimming. It was great!

We arrived on Friday after a very early morning. Joe and I got up at 4:30 am and woke Jules 30-minutes later to head out the door. We were worried about how she'd do, but she was a great traveler. The first 45-minutes of the flight included her alternately looking out the window and yelling "I flying!" It was pretty cute. That afternoon, after a sad (and unsuccessful) attempt at a nap, we went swimming. Julia literally just sat on the pool steps with a bucket and shovel yelling "I swimming" over and over.

During our visit with Donna and Mark, we went to Boca Grande beach. Aside from being the first time Joe and I visited the ocean together, this was Julia's first visit and it was love at first sight. After getting used to the sand sticking to her, she built a sandcastle with her Gram and loved how the waves would splash her. We all had a really fun day and were very tired (and Joe and I were a bit crispy) when we went home. No worries, the spf 50 worked for Jules... not so for mom and dad :(


On Monday, we visited an animal sanctuary where we saw birds and some little lizards that seemed to be everywhere we went. Let me clarify that they were not part of the animal sanctuary, they just roam free and skitter about all of the time. Julia was totally obsessed with these little fellas and just couldn't get enough. Check out how close she got in this picture! Her Gram bought her a little stuffed lizard, aptly named Mr. Lizard, who became her fast friend during our trip.



Before we left, we also had a chance to play in a really neat fountain along the waterfront. Well, actually, we went to dinner at this great restaurant - oh, how I miss good crab cakes! - and then stumbled upon the fountain. Julia would have stayed for hours if we didn't insist on leaving when she started shivering like crazy. She really enjoyed it and, again, kept yelling "I swimming" during the entire time she played :) Here's a short video of our little fountain adventure. If you listen closely - beyond my too loud voice - you'll be able to hear it, along with lots of giggles!




All-in-all, it was a fun visit with Gram and Opa. Luckily, we didn't have to say too much of a goodbye, since Donna will be coming up to visit us for a few days while I'm away at LeaderShape next week. I will be sad to leave Joe and Jules for a whole week - especially after spending so much time with them. I'm going to go through withdrawl! Here are a few additional photos from our travels. Hope you enjoy them!



Group photo from our dinner out

Jules, Gram and the "Happy New Year" tiara

Enjoying the beach

Us girls

On the plane ride home

2 comments:

Donna said...

Laura, you are so good at writing and putting a synopsis all together!
We totally enjoyed having the three of you visit.
Julia is such a joy to be around, too. "I swimming" and "Mr Lizard" will be in our minds for a long time.
Very glad we all were able to go to the beach -- that was great - just wish it wasn't as hot as it was. But it was fun to experience Julia's first beach visit with you and Joe!
See ya in a few days!

Mark and Donna's Place said...

Wow, what a great blog update! Yes and Donna is right you do a great job Laura! Glad ya'll enjoyed your visit!